Bedroom Makeover #1

I had a lot of fun with this room… it was nothing terrible to begin with, but I knew if I put it off it would be a long time before I’d get to it. So off we went, spur of the moment, the second Saturday after moving in, and bought paint.

img_20160827_133130
the only before picture I thought to take 🙂

I knew I wanted to go with a nautical theme, because I wanted the room to appeal to an older boy as well–I didn’t want anything too juvenile. Dan had a frame with a sailboat and different knots inside, and that’s kind of where I started.

dsc_0163

From there it was pretty easy. I didn’t want a solid navy wall but thought that a striped wall would look nice. We struggled with calculating stripe width when we did this in the basement of our old house, but this was very simple since we did all the stripes equal sizes.

dsc_0152

The anchor rug was a buy off of Rugs.ca. I much prefer buying things online, but I always get a little nervous especially for bigger purchases like this. I am very happy with the rug though: nice and plush, and the colours were exactly as I had pictured. And the curtains, which you can hardly see… the cheapest curtains on Walmart.ca, haha! They were the perfect colour, and blackout the room considerably well. (It’s not a bright room to begin with.)

dsc_0164My mom had one square of this sailboat material in her scrap bin, so it was perfect to sew into a decorative little pillow.

dsc_0161Thanks to my sister-in-law, I also received this large anchor for decor-perfect for the bedroom! I looked around for a model sailboat to buy, but they were all quite pricey. I didn’t want to spend any more money on the room, so after looking for some inspiration on pinterest, I hauled to the backyard with a saw and chopped down some dead birch branches. The sails are more scrap material, so I ended up spending $0 as opposed to at least $30 for a “real” model. I may still make a little flag for the top, and a little pendant banner for one sail, but all in good time 😉

dsc_0157Final result! I found the quilt on clearance at Quilts Etc, but they only carried in queen size. After looking for something similar at a ton of different stores, I decided to go with the Queen size one anyway, and I think it works fine! I’m not sure how well you can see the design, but it is pictures of various sailboats. Anyway, that’s it! It was a lot of fun picking stuff out for a “big kid” room. Eventually, when the budget allows, I’d like to also get a nautical map, or an old world map, for the wall. But for now, I think I’m done with the room.

 

Lowly Worm Birthday Party (part 2)

Part one here.

I had high hopes of making party hats for all the kids, but that fell through when I couldn’t find cheap enough material to do so. So I decided to make one only for the birthday boy-it is based on Lowly’s hat. It lasted just long enough to get a couple pictures and that was it. I also used some scrap material to make a bow tie to match Lowly’s. I used a snap, so you can’t adjust the size, but it worked out just fine.

+DSC_0692
I wanted to have at least one little game planned for the kids to do, since we were going to have a house full both days (14 kids the first day, 13 the second day). I printed off the high-quality Lowly picture full size (about 34 inches) and then taped it to a green background. I cut off his bow-tie, made a knock-off version of the birthday boy’s, and put tape over all the pages. The kids had great fun playing a spinoff of a classic party game–Pin the Bow-tie on Lowly. I hadn’t planned it, but it was handy that I had taped it because we just used a dry erase marker to put an initial where each kid had pinned the bow-tie.
IMG_20150407_115104

I think someone was peeking when this picture was taken 😉

DSC_0734

I had originally planned to do cupcake toppers, so I had made these little flags. I still wanted to use them, so I displayed them in little jars with our other decorations, and then popped one into each child’s goody ‘bag’ on their way out the door.

DSC_0697

Each flag said “Noah is 1!” on one side, and had a little picture of Lowly doing something on the other.

IMG_20150407_105513
With help from family, I collected 21 toilet paper tubes. I was originally looking for flip top tube containers, but couldn’t find any, and my wise sister-in-law suggested the toilet paper tubes. So I collected them, painted them, glued felt to the bottom, and used pipe cleaners for handles. Ta-da! I also printed little stickers that said, “Thank you for coming to Noah’s birthday party!”
IMG_20150330_224606DSC_0700

I printed off some colouring pages I found online, along with activities I found at randomhousekids.com. I tried to colour coordinate for age, so the blue tubes had harder pictures and an activity, like a maze, or connect the dot puzzle, and the yellow tubes just had one simple picture to colour. Along with the pictures, I put 3 or 4 crayons, a couple Rocket rolls, and a sucker. I wanted it to be simple, but with a bit of candy too, of course!

IMG_20150330_220336DSC_0702

I found this basket at a liquidation store for $3 and thought it was super cute.

This is a picture of the little decoration display on the piano.

IMG_20150407_105507

All in all, it was a ton of fun, but I must say I’m glad the next birthday is 6 months away! Just enough time to recover from this one and start planning for the next 😉